Israel .. Part 1 of Upteen million stories .... great place to visit


Travel Blog—Trip to Israel 

We arrived in Tel Aviv this afternoon and are staying on the Mediterrean--wonderful hotel but the guy said to mentally hit 'delete' since hotels throughout the Holy Land are less than any star rating system.

The only thing that was exciting about the 20 or so hours in flight and airports....was that on the flight to Madrid, a big fluffy cat got loose in the cabin and was running around.  Its head popped up in between Mom's leg--the least likely candidate for feline understanding and certainly doesn't want cat hair showing on her black 'travel' pants.....  So funny.  The man from India sitting next to her couldn't get a good grip on the creature, so guess who saved the day?  The cat weighed a ton, was completely docile and/or drugged and somehow got out of its carrier when the owner was in the toilet.

Tel Aviv is a modern, all white architecturally beautiful seaside coastal town.  We had great fresh seafood and the best beer in Israel is Gold Star....have to remember it sounds like Lone Star.  I'm on the hunt for soccer shirts but am told the national team of Israel is not so good.  (I did get some great Madrid Real team shirts on the layover in Madrid/)

Tel Aviv is known for some type of architecture and there are 800 homes that same style.  I can't remember what the style is or why it is famous, but we are doing a walking tour in the a.m. to view this incredible style.....maybe there will be Gold Star beers along the way.

Israel is a welcoming country and we hope to discover more throughout the next couple of weeks.  Will keep all informed.
Sorry about seeing all the addresses--the computer will not send unless all names are shown.

It is Sabbat today so most everything is closed.  We took a walking tour, which for me, was more a park bench to park bench tour--I was sometimes within earshot of the guide.  We went to Ben Gurion's home, which is a small museum (closed on Sabbat) and then to Rabin's place of assassination and a coffee shop that is a memorial to a terrorist attack in 1995.  Grim tour today. 

The architectural style is Bauhaus....I thought they were saying Baja, because it is pronounced Bah Hah.  But, it is a linear style of architecture from the 1930's, white with balconies, very cubist style--the architect who developed this style....maybe his name was Groupus or something like that--was forced out of Germany by Hitler and he and his students relocated to Tel Aviv and there are 4,000 houses of this style.  White with long modern lines, balconies for air movement.  The government historical commission has allowed the owners to add two floors above the original construction to expand the size of the homes but retain their original design.

I am working on a screen play "Cats on a Plane", similar to the "Snakes on a Plane" movie.  I may be giving too much of the plot away in the title and would probably make about the same amount of money as the Snakes movie made.

Lots of activity on the beach and headed that way for lunch, sun, and a Mediterraean swim....oh, and an ice cream cone.  Sounds like a good afternoon at leisure plan.

Tonight, to Jaffe for dinner and a night time tour. 

Other observations of Tel Aviv:

--Lots of dog owners and beautiful dogs on leashes all over the city (remember it’s the Sabbath so everyone is outside at leisure.
--Interesting game similar to badminton, ping pong and racquetball played on the sides of buildings.  I will be a champion at this before the trip is over.
--I asked about the national soccer team and, in Yiddish, someone told me "So So"....It must be like when Dave Campos was the Cowboys coach--or Chan Gailey the hillbilly...for certain the Cowboys were So during that time period.
--Tel Aviv--Means "Hill of Spring', "Hill of Hope" or "Old New Land".  Since it was created with the Zionist movement beginning in 1897, I'm thinking Old New Land is most likely the most accurate.  City of 500,000 and Jerusalem has 700,000.
--Olive trees never die.  There are trees here still producing olives that are over 2000 years old.  I asked, dumbly, about green and black olives...they all come from the same tree!  You get the green olives early in harvest, say October, then in December they are half green/half black, and if you want until January, they are all black olives.  Being a martini drinker, I found this interesting...but no explanation about the pimento inside.  Some mysteries remain.
--They place cloth on the ground under the olive tree; city workers bring big sticks and they beat the heck out of the trees and the olives drop.  Wish I had video of this. 


OK.  To the beach.  To continue research of Gold Star beer.  And some fresh fried seafood.  This is Holy Land for sure.

Visited Jaffa, the port city near Tel Aviv tonight.  The city has historical records of more than 6,000 years, so when we ate in a restaurant that had been built in the 1600's, that's like talking about the day before yesterday.

Jaffa is a derivation of the name of Noah's son...is it Jabbat in the Bible?....and has been owned by everyone from the Egyptians to the Turks.  There are some 'non-functioning' mosques, but one of the oddest moments tonight was hearing the Call for Prayers over the loud speakers in the town, while the Catholic Church bells rang, and our Jewish guide spoke of his religion.  It was eclectic experience to say the least.

The town is now an artist's colony with original oil paintings displayed in alleyways and narrow streets.  The sun shines 360 days a year here, so no worries with the destruction of artwork.  The food is incredible, mostly pulled from the Mediterranean Sea--does the Bible refer to it as "The Great Sea"? 

I always thought a tour of Israel would be this dusty, primitive tour, but what I am finding is an incredibly advanced melding of two worlds--the old and the new.  There was new construction with walls dating back 400 years but a new building inside.  To think:  Not tear down the old but just improve.

The owner of the restaurant said he was fined 1200 shekels for sealing his walls in his structure, but felt it was worth it.  (There are about 3 and half shekels per dollar.)

Tomorrow, to Galilee.  More to follow.
I am not sure when I will have access to the internet, so here are just a few rambling observations.

--When someone is very happy, as in Super Happy, the phrase sounds something like "SheGoneA".   She's Gone...so I'm super happy....that's how I remember that one. 
--I think I created a monster.  I am collecting beer caps for my friend, Sam Walker, who is head men's basketball coach at A&M-Commerce.  Teddy is his nine year old son and has been a collector of things since he was old enough to crawl.  I bring him beer caps.  I know that is probably encouraging a future drinker, but he enjoys seeing the different beer tabs from the different countries I have visited.  So, now, everyone--bar tenders, others on the trip, strangers--are bringing me beer tabs....I have plenty of Gold Star, then there is a beer called something like "Amigo" but that can't be, can it?  And Corona.  They think since I am a Texan I need Corona beer caps...if they only knew.
--The tourism trade before 2001 to Israel was about 3 million annually.  After September 2001, that dropped to about 150,000 and stayed that level until this year, which has seen an increase.  The number of art shops, etc. has dropped due to closing in those lean years.  \
--I am reading Barrack Obama's book "Dreams from my father".  Whatever your political opinions, I highly recommend this book.  His experiences as a child are movie-worthy--two thumbs up. 
--Check out the website www. habinim.org.  Something about some kidnapped souls and there are posters all over the country but I am too reserved to ask. 
--The toilet paper has puppy dogs imprinted in design.  (Maybe I should have brought more reading material.....kind of bored...does that indicate enough?)
--There was a soccer game in the distance last night.  We were taken to the highest point of Jaffa to see the city lights of Tel Aviv...and of course, I see these stadium lights...would have loved to go to the game.  I'll try to go to one before we leave.  The tour guide told me it wasn't his team playing so we ate dinner instead at the place where Peter had his vision about 'clean food' coming from God.  (It was a great meal.....collected three Gold Star bottle caps...I've got to back off of that soon but....)
--The population is 80% Jewish; 17% Muslim and 3% Christian in Israel. 
--The US embassy is in Tel Aviv although the capital of the country is Jerusalem.
--Jerusalem is only 40 miles from Tel Aviv.  The longest drive we will have is Nazareth to the Dead Sea which is about 90 miles. 

Staying on a hotel on the shores of the Sea of Galilee--tonights special was Peter's Fish.  We toured the site of Annunciation and was impressed with the protective cathedral built in 1962 to protect the site purported to be where Angel Gabriel 'announced' to Mary that she was with child.  A mass was being conducted and the music was uplifting.

There is a smaller, much smaller, Church of Joseph within walking distance, and it is virtually a cave with a church on top of it.  This was the workshop of Joseph--of course we always picture him as a carpenter with wood, saws, and nails, but he, scholars tell us, was a builder of homes with rock and mortar.  Poor Joseph, he doesn't get much attention.  But, there is a nice bathroom for 2 shekels and it was clean, so that was a highlight.

We go to the Golan Heights tomorrow and Jack Davidson told me that the view will be tremendous from there. 

Nazareth is a hilly place with winding roads, green fields, and even a form of bluebonnets now in bloom.  Tall and stringy, but still bluebonnets all the same.

There must be some problems in the Gaza but we are only told that there is "an operation" in place.  We don't ask. 

This is a great trip and will let you know how the excursion to "near" Syria goes--today we were 'near' Lebanon and could see it close up.  Man, Moses took a wrong turn when he picked this neighborhood.
We are about 9 hours ahead of Tyler time, so if it's noon there, it is about 9 p.m., here, which it is.

There are many reasons that I have traveled to so many places and NEVER seen, the Golan Heights.  Not much there.

We drove by a place that is a lovely seaside area and the guide said, "That is the area of the multiplication".  It took me a moment, then this incredibly warm feeling filed my heart....that was where Jesus fed the MULTITUDES, and I always get the numerology wrong on this:  five fish and three loaves....am I anywhere close?  Recommendation:  Bring a study Bible on a trip to the Holy Land because the Gideon’s have not left any in the hotel room and it’s been a long, long time since my Vacation Bible School days....and that's with the assumption that I was paying attention.  But, the feeling of tenderness overwhelmed me when I saw that place. 

Then, within a mile, he said "There is the site of the 8 beatitudes"...and again, I'm slow gathering up my decision....that was the Sermon on the Mount.  It is a naturally formed amphitheatre (with perfect acoustics....he said someone checked it out).  And, again, without even trying or any type of medication, this powerful feeling of love and kindness overwhelmed me.  Just thinking of those words, and I need re-read them, but 'blessed are.." is repeated 8 times.....again, VBS in Stephenville Texas in the 1960's.....but honestly, and I would not make this up, there is a physical occurrence, something just touches your heart....and you all know that I have a crusty heart and sometimes, stubborn and sarcastic, but truly thinking that this is the place and it is so full of beauty and that it was natural place to preach to a large group.

So, here's the parts that didn't necessary give me fuzzy feelings:

--The Kabballaist Center on the top of this winding hilltop, which is the center for the 'receiving' of the Messiahs.  Famous Kabballaist as you know are Ashton Kutcher and Madonna. and I asked the rabbi if Madonna had been at this synagogue, and he gives me a funny look....and I have to add  "No, not that one, the Pop Star Madonna."  It is an artist colony and the guide said most misuse the welfare system and has about 15 kids and no job.  He was asked about birth control and he said "That would be like telling them to eat pigs; every night is a Bingo, he said, nothing goes to waste."  Kabala means 'receipt' and with respect they believe certain things must be done here on Earth before their Messiah arrives.  I don’t' think all is done yet.
--The Sea of Galilee is huge and furnished 30% of the countries water, with pipelines of 250 miles.
--English is taught mandatory and a third language is chosen in high school.  They go 6 days a week, 8 a.m. until 2 p.m.  There is religious training in all schools.  Education is free until 18.
--19 until 21 men serve and all women serve in the armed serves for 2 years as well.  We see these young people with machine guns at bus stops and hitchhiking back to their barracks after their weekend breaks.
--Everyone serves in the reserves until they are 45 and/or have gobs of kids.
--Eating Falafels, which are fried chick pea balls, in pita bread and kind of a kosher hamburger.
--Country's slogans:  In Tel Aviv, you play.  In Haifa, you stay (nice city).  In Jerusalem, you pray.  We'll be there Thursday. 
--I am most surprised by the topography, hilly, winding roads; full of blooming fruit trees...it is cherry blossom time in the Golan Heights.
--Visited a kibbutz and the system is apparently ka-poot. They are going towards privatization rather than communal ways of life.  Sad for those who have been in the system since 1948.

--Mark Twain wrote:  Why anyone with a healthy brain would chose to live here is beyond reason.  Have to agree with the old boy.

----Great highway system; Pomegranate has 613 seeds and that means something but not sure what in the Torah so the decorative scrolls have pomegranates on them.  We have pom. juice all the time (again Sunday School lessons on foods that we know Jesus ate.)

--Israel motto:  Impossible takes a little longer.  They do believe that.

Tomorrow, I will be out of pocket.  Well, a cruise on the Sea of Galilee, where I hope for calm waters and no walks on it. 

Something’s worth mentioning:

--Sacks of soccer shirts from Israel so I'm happy.  Dr. Gary Gross in Tyler will have some to offset his Muslim teams now.
--Uncleared mine fields in the Golan Heights.  Prominent and plentiful.  Marked with yellow and red signs.  I saw the same fields in Argentina after the Falkland Wars.  The beautiful beaches are unsafe and every now and then some sad sack penguin gets blasted.  There are Syrian bunkers with barbed wire still here--wasn't this war in 1967?
--Saw the city of Mary Magdalene.  It's called Magdalena.  Got that same feeling in my heart and my cynicism was put on the back burner....yet again...what's going on here?
--Is it true that Israel is only the size of New Jersey?
--Israel can only 'smell' oil.  Has none.  Buys it from Russia.  $6 bucks a liter.
--Condy Rice, Sec. of State, is making a trip to Jerusalem the day I'll be there.  Does that make me a target neighbor or a safe zone resident?  If anything happens, all debts are clear, right?
--Seeing Crusader ruins from incredibly built cities with theatres and libraries.  So wonderful.  Kind of like that movie "Kingdom of Heaven".  Much of the Christian sites are because of Constantine and his wife from Turkey--the patron saint on whom Sigma Chi (my fraternity) is closely based.
--The communal kibbutz life seems to be over here.  I spoke with Victor.  He moved from the United States as a young, young man in 1948 to work on a kibbutz named Gotard (similar to my name derivation).  He has been in charge of the gardens for this place.  His two female cousins (Chicago and Phoenix) had long conversations with me....I drifted away from the group tour for some reason.  He was upset about the freeze here a few weeks ago that destroyed his crops.  He is 72.

Top of Form
Bottom of Form
We will see the caves where the goat herders found the Dead Sea scrolls in the late 1950's.  We will go to Masada, the ruins of King Herod's palace.  We will buy the creams, lotions, and sea salts of the Dead Sea which cure any/all.  We will drive to Jerusalem and spend our time until return on Sunday.

Lots of tension with Gaza.  We are not sure if we will be able to go to Bethlehem.  There goes my plans for the Christmas card photo this year. 

Great food.  The news of Texas' primary is being discussed everywhere this morning.  I was curious about Smith County elections and Tab Beall was the Ace Reporter to send me the news on that one.

More later.  All is well and now onward to Jerusalem

Ok.  Some of my 'wise acres' friends have been sending me their numerology remembrances of the "Site of the Multiplications".  I am almost certain that it was not a can of tuna and five bottles of Israeli wine and for sure, it was not some saltines and a six pack of Gold Star beer.  AND, please know that I have been playing the role of Smart Alec for my entire life so I have dibs on that role!

Speaking of the beer tabs, it is out of hand.  I am getting them from everywhere, even when we move to a new town.  I think it is like that game in elementary when we played 'Gossip" and the teacher told one student and it was passed around the room in a whisper until you had the most outrageous different story at the end.  (I was usually the kid who heard it right and on purpose changed it to something dirty.)

Anyway, the Gold Star caps are multiplying and Teddy the 9 year old in Commerce really doesn't like duplicates in his collection. The caps do have a Gold Star on them.  I think for some reason people think his Health depends on the number we raise, so the effort can't be shut down.  I have bags of them dang things and will toss at some discreet location.

We will drive to the Dead Sea, the lowest spot on the face of the Earth.  I want to float on the water (they tell us you will want to toss whatever you wear in the nearest trash can afterwards..)  But there are spas and lotions and salt scrubs, so I'll look at least 48 when I return.

We will see the Holocaust Museum at Jerusalem and I'm concerned about that.  I met a West Texas retired Baptist Preacher.  One of those tough West Texans who keep their teeth together when they talk so the sand doesn't blow in their mouths.  A tough nut this one.  Like he would 'rassle' a bear and come out ahead.  But, when I asked him about his visit to the Holocaust, it was like an actor breaking character.  He said meekly that he only could see about half the exhibits.  He became emotional and had to leave the building in tears.  I think we should soldier on (maybe a bad choice of words) through the exhibit.

There is a man on this trip who is 79 years old and a retired Ford engineer.  He must have been high up in the company because he had the use of two Ford products during employment--a Lincoln for his wife and a Ford truck--he still gets the truck each year.  I asked when his wife died (and I hate when people say 'I Lost my wife...") but I was an idiot and asked when.  His answer was something like 4 years, 8 month, 12 days, and 7 hours and 13 minutes.  Without looking at a watch or calendar.  That silenced the room.  But, he is/was a Catholic and he is confused he says and this is to find an answer.  I asked what he wanted to happen?  He said he wanted to know where his wife was.  I asked what his priest said, and he said he told him, she was sleeping.  He said that didn't sound right.  Emogene King, a retired TJC business teacher and a friend of Mom--so glad she is here, she knows her Bible and she said Jesus told the thief on the cross next to him "Today you will see my father's Kingdom."  Can't we just believe that?  It was great moment and got the stares off my flippant conversation.

Onward....
Just got out of a dip in the Dead Sea.  It is clear, but oily kind of like mineral oil and you do float.  Everyone told us 'don't go underwater' but of course you know me, I pulled myself underwater, which is difficult with the heaviness and it burned my head, face, eyes so badly, I was screaming for a shower and towel.

I am sitting in an internet cafe with a clock ticking my time off.  It's 20 shekels for 20 minutes so about 7 bucks.  I was sent to McDonalds and then Burger King when I asked for an internet cafe...they just know the word cafe apparently but I snuck into this spa and I am using their computer until I am discovered.

I got word that the East Texas Council of Governments has named me Citizen of the Year and will be honored at a luncheon Thursday March 20th.  I am grateful to Angela Jenkins who I have discovered wrote the letter of nomination and now need to get Angela a payoff present here in Israel.  I am so blessed and have lived a charmed life and this trip and this award proves the point.  I surround myself with good friends and smart people (and some smart alecs....) and the Lord just looks after me.  You know He has a great sense of humor, otherwise why would he have given me this ears that stick out?

Went to the Sermon on the Mount location, the feeding of the multitudes, Paul's mother in law's house (she had the fever and Jesus healed her and she fed him--or was that Peter?) and rebaptized in the Jordan River.  I got an ordained minister certificate online before I left but it now tells me as I read closer that I cannot do baptism, circumcisms, or exorcisms.  No 'ism's but I do get free parking at Hospitals when visiting.   There were crabs, otters and catfish in the Jordan River with me.  So the nature of it all was impressive. 

We travel to Masada and I'm taking the trolley car.  Any surprise there?  Not a hiker.  More of a rider.
Arrived at golden sunset.  Beautiful city.  This is how I pictured the Holy Land.  By law, everything is built of limestone, so it is white and dusty. 

We saw the cave where the first of the Dead Sea scrolls were found--something I had seen only on the National Geographic Channel.  The goat herder in '47 lost his goat.  Threw a rock into a cave to scare the goat. Heard pottery breaking instead.  Eventually, more than 14,000 scrolls were found.  The goat, I am told, was never located.  But, if that goat herded threw the rock from where we stood, he had a heck of a hook shot.

Three categories found:  copies of all the Old Testament except the two books that don't mention God.  Some personal documents:  wedding arrangements and real estate dealings; and third:  lots of documentation on the cultist clan that wrote the copies and stored them in the caves.  We will see the actual scrolls or some of them later this week.

Saw where some say Jesus was baptized--think it is really determined by the tour guide--the All Mighty Dollar determines whose tour is what location, me thinks.

When we go to Bethlehem in a couple of days, our guide will be Palestinian.  This is apparently the law?  Also, we are told that if we want to help the Christians living in Israel, BUY things in Bethlehem.  So, onward with the debit card.....
We will see the caves where the goat herders found the Dead Sea scrolls in the late 1950's.  We will go to Masada, the ruins of King Herod's palace.  We will buy the creams, lotions, and sea salts of the Dead Sea which cure any/all.  We will drive to Jerusalem and spend our time until return on Sunday.

Lots of tension with Gaza.  We are not sure if we will be able to go to Bethlehem.  There goes my plans for the Christmas card photo this year. 

Great food.  The news of Texas' primary is being discussed everywhere this morning.  I was curious about Smith County elections and Tab Beall was the Ace Reporter to send me the news on that one.

More later.  All is well and now onward to Jerusalem
--OK.  The caps are a done deal.  I've had to announce that enough is enough.  I am so glad that I didn't tell everyone Teddy's true passion--collecting rocks.  I would need a gravel truck to get me to the Tel Aviv airport.
--The Masada. Huge, huge plateau like mountain, in what I imagined the area would be like, sort of Big Bend meets Grand Canyon.  Trolley car up.  Lots of ruins,  The people were being besieged....what was this, the Crusades....anyway, after maybe 2 years of this onslaught, they had a huge murder/suicide.  For some reason, Peter O'Toole is involved (saw a video clip).  Was there a movie called Masada?  I should have walked down, no one else did, so I didn't.  Yep, that's the only reason I didn't make the hour hike down.
--The Beit Alpha Synogogue has a great Zodiac mosaic.  Now, I'm looking at the tiles in my bathroom and thinking mosaics from the Byzantine period of time.
--There was no Christianity until about 400 years after Christ's death.  This is because of the efforts of Constantine and his mother, Helena.  True?
--The view from the Mount of Olives is beautiful.  I am too dumb and dumbfounded to describe it adequately. 
--We are staying in the old city.  The new city is dated 1882.  So, that's their idea of new.
--We see the Jewish Quarter, the Christian Quarter, the Via Delarosa (Stations of the Cross) to the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, the traditional site of Cruxification.  I wanted to bring a whip to whip the Money Changers and the others who try to sell postcards for "US ONE DOLLAR", but chickened out.  Sure wish I had that whip now.  Rather than paparazzi, I'm surrounded by Beggarazzi!
--Tomorrow, will be the Israel Museum, Dead Sea Scrolls display.  Then the Yad Vashem--Holocaust Museum.  I need prayer for strength and double dose of Xanax for anxiety.  Also, tomorrow is the Bethlehem tour (pending safety reports). We see young, young soldiers with machine guns everywhere.  And you know that they look about 15 so I'm thinking with all that Play station gaming history, they are probably pretty good shots.

All is well.  The city is coming awake and the coffee and my instant oatmeal await.
Via Dolorosa (the way of the Cross) was incredible. We went to all the stations.  There were Christians and Jews and Muslims from all over the world. The call for prayers was sent out at noon and immediately as it finished, the bell tower from a Lutheran Cathedral rang out.  It was emotional hearing that 'on these stones Jesus fell with the Cross," and "here is where the women cried and Jesus told them not to cry for him" and on and on.  Incredible. 

There were stones that are said to have been in place as He carried the Cross still here and I stood on them.  We touched the place where the crucifixion was to have taken place and of course all you can do is just weep.  That got me more than anything on this trip.  You reach your hand in this little hole and stretch your reach and then touch the place where the cross was, and you just lose all control of emotion.  Strong.

Honestly, it was like a sampling of every person of every nation of every faith all on one sidewalk.  Great, great day.  I recommend this to anyone even the doubting Thomases.

Tomorrow is the holocaust museum--I keep forgetting the proper name since that doesn't do it justice to call it that....but will remember tomorrow.

Also, tomorrow is Bethlehem, which sadly we are strongly recommended NOT to go, but I think we are going to try.  More to tell when I get all my notes together.  Spectacular day today.
Yep.  Heard the sirens last night.  I had purposely not gone to a crowded pub or mall last night.  I was actually planning to go--in Texan terms, I'm tired of Canton Trades Days and ready for Dillard's--we go to so many of these little vendors who want to haggle.  I don't haggle.  I walk away and give dirty looks.

But, anyway, I took Mom to this amazing dinner. We didn't know what we were getting ourselves into since the flyers were in Hebrew, but it turned out to be 60th anniversary of the Israeli nation and it was kind of like "Taste of Israel" with different food booths and all kinds of varieties of meats, veggies, and desserts.  The table that was labeled "Time of Rationing" had collard greens and mush and to be honest I enjoyed it almost as much as the "Time of Today" which was kabobs and French fries.  We had a great time and were not close to any trouble.

The verdict is out on the trip to Bethlehem.  I want to go badly, but I don't want Mom and her two friends to be nervous throughout the day.  I may be ugly, but I'm not stupid.  We'll see.  I would like to find the place where Jesus will return.  I think it is on the Mt. of Olives and it seems like there is a rock that he cried about Jerusalem once (Man, I wish I had paid attention in Sunday School rather than eating candy and making fun of the teacher.)  But, we may find a cab driver with English and do our own tour.

We were at the Western Wall yesterday.  I wore a cowboy kerchief on my head rather than the yamamuke (which I mispronounced as Marmaduke)---just like I keep calling shekels, "dradles". 

The tour guide repeatedly reminds us all (mostly Jewish group members/about 10 Christians of the 44 group total) that Jesus, his disciples, and everyone we loved in our New Testament were Jewish and he is such an intellectual and a humorist.  He gives a wonderful description of the history of both--giving Constantine and his mother Helene so much credit which I am a big fan of---Our guide is named Ezra and he is a cross between Joey Bishop and George Clooney and I wish everyone would let him talk rather than ask stupid questions.  Yes, on tour groups there are such things as stupid questions.

I am tired of Falafels--the pita bread with fried chick peas and some kind of putty made of sesame seed juice--think how many seeds to make that juice.  And, I am tired of Schnitzel, which is just like Chic Fil A.

There is another kind of beer other than Gold Star but it has this long name--like an old phrase put together as one word, sort of like "WhatChaMaCallIt?" but it is some 1980s phrase and I can't remember it.  Something like "HowYouLikeMeNow" Beer or "CheckOutTheHookWhileMyDJRevolvesIt" Beer.  Bad marketing.  Instead or ordering an easy remember "Gold Star please", you have to say something like "WordToYourMotherYo" Beer. 

Sorry for all the lengthy emails.  The distribution list was too full and it would not send everyone's email blindly. Yahoo thinks I am a spammer, like one of those Libyan lawyers looking for your relatives with money....So some have addresses in the message and please delete those addresses for me, will ya?  I have more than 400 photos.

I did put a note in the Wailing Wall.  Yes it had names on it.  I can't tell you who, but be nice to me just in case. They take the notes and bury them in the Mt. Of Olives. 

Love you all and looking forward to seeing you.  (There may not be room at the Inn today for our Tyler bunch, but Today is the last full day of the tour and the last Breakfast buffet that I hope to see in my lifetime.  Well, at least until the next group tour.  I understand it is snowing in Tyler, we went to Bethlehem, ate falafels at the Christmas Tree Restaurant (and the word 'restaurant' is a stretch), saw Little Baby Jesus' place of birth and manger, along with plenty of beggar-razzi and pilgrims from all over the world.  All with armed guards and explosive-sniffing German shepherds.  So, maybe there is a holiday theme in there somewhere. 

Saw the Dead Sea Scrolls at the museum which is a huge place shaped like one of the pottery urns that housed the scrolls for so long.

Here some other points of interest:

--"Yad" = "memorial" and Vashem = names, so, the Yad Vashem Museum honors the names of the 6 million Jews who died in the Holocaust.
--1.5 million were children, age 17 and under.  To give you an idea of the number of children, when they did a verbal memorial by reading the names of the children, their age, and hometown, reading 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with volunteer readers....it took TWO  years to complete the list and that's just the children.
--The Children's Memorial is a building donated by the Speigal family in USA that has that tape of the names being played.  You enter the football length display and it is pitch black and you hold a rail to make your way through. There are four candles only in the room but mirrors and pieces of mirrors are everywhere, so it appears that there are 1.5 million tiny flames.  And, those reading the names, "Some Name, Age 15, Berlin....Some Name, Age 4, Amsterdam...." 
--The one story about the principal of a Jewish orphanage is on a sculpture.  The Nazis told him they would spare his life but wanted to take the 200 orphans to the death camp.  He refused their offer and huddled with the orphans on the train, singing songs, and making them laugh, telling them (not the truth he knew) but that they were going on a marvelous adventure. Sadly, they all died and he was gassed with the orphans he was in charge of.  The dedication of an educator.  I bought his diary and one of the children's books he wrote before that train ride.
--Bethlehem is in the West Bank and is occupied by the Palestines. You have to get off an Israeli bus and onto a Palestinian bus.  The conditions are tough.  How do you react when a grown man looks you in the eye and says 'Buy this $1 bead necklace so that I can feed my children."  And, he means it.  It's not like a junkie begging for a buck to buy dope.  But, trying to scratch out an existence for his sustenance.  Tough call.  What good does it do to think they don't mean what they say?  (I have lots of dollar junk and left a few $20 bills in some palms but will never forget that eye contact.)
--We are going on our own today to the Garden of Gethsemane--there are olive trees that were there the night Jesus was betrayed that are still alive and producing olives. 
--Some of these sites are like the historical markers along Texas highways....they are 'thereabouts' the actual site.
--Went to the Western Wall at 5:03 p.m., when Sabbath begins, last night.  So much joyous singing and dancing mostly from young students. I guess in my mind I was expecting a candle vigil for the 8 young students who were buried that day, but they were celebrating that a holy day has come to them.
--The principal is Janus Kolchak--that's his pseudonym for writing and there is a movie there waiting to be filmed.

More later
We will perhaps find the point of Ascension and think of each of you.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel the World: When to Splurge. When to Scrimp, And How to Return Safely to Home Sweet Home Here in Tyler!

This much I know to be true ... March 2022

Words, Words, Words ... May/June 2023