Mind is Wandering and Wondering March 9th 2024

 

I’ll be dog-goned … doggonend? I hear it but never see it written … have no way of knowning how it is spelled.

Some words are seen only in books but seldom in speech … like ‘rollickying’ … who says that?  But I see it in books all the time:  We had a rollicking good time…

I used to read the word ‘vehemently’ in books but never spoken.  I try now to use vehemently in a vehemently manner …

I like when people say, “Some thrive on drama” … kind of ignores the ignorant who … well, thrive on drama… Spare me the drama.   At this age, I only like drama on ‘NCIS’ …

As a child when I did something awful … which was the norm … I would always tell whoever was with me, “Now, don’t go squealing on me …”  Worked every time … no one wants to be a squealer …

One of the funniest ‘put downs’ I ever heard was ‘Just how far up your butt do you intend to place your head?’ … That’s the PG version … I thought it was funny and have it written in red ink on a card I see every day … I try not to put my head up my butt.  It’s an every day challenge and total life resolution.

I do “Open Mouth.  Insert Foot” often … usually as often as possible.

I have a friend who every time he sees a police car says, ‘Pigs. Busted…’  Another friend heard this and elaborated saying, ‘Pigs. Busted.  Five-Oh’ … And I say, usually to myself when I see a police car, ‘Pigs. Busted. Five Oh.  The Fuzz … hope no one has squealed on me’… If a police officer pulls up behind me, I feel guilty even though I’ve done nothing wrong … no feeling is better than when the police car/highway patrol car passes you and goes after some criminal … Full and total relief, redemption, and exonerated.

So, if someone squeals on you to the Fuzz (where did this name come from?) … then you are busted by the Five-Oh …

Some sayings stay in my mind until I post them on Facebook.  Show out.  Put on.  Show off.  Rinse out.  Rinse Off.  Rinse and Repeat.  Water down.  Waterfall.  Is water ever up?  Water Up?

I usually think in terms of what I like.  Some days I think of things I don’t like.

I don’t like unsharpened knives … when you just rub something apart rather than cut it apart.

I hate dull scissors, all commercials, anything with the word ‘election’, ‘campaign’, and Spam in it …

I don’t like stripped screws.  But, I have spent much of my life stripping screws … used to be flat and Phillips head screws … now they have some odd octagon-shaped head and I have to truly search for the right screw driver head.

Yes, I know what they are called … of course, I cannot remember the name right now… but I blame the Chinese … I blame a lot on the Chinese. 

Ok, back to the ‘I like’ stuff.

I like to remember the old televisions with the dial … we got channel 4, 5, 8, and 11.  We got 13 but only thing I ever watched on it was Monty Python on Sunday nights.  Between stations you still  had to dial past them and they were fuzzy and buzzy … Dad always thought I turned that dial too fast and was going to strip the screws.

On Sundays, I would climb on the roof and turn the antenna towards Tyler so that we could get channel 7 and watch Cowboy games.  It always looked like they were playing in the fog.

I remember whenever Mom would use her sewing machine, it would create the fuzzy and buzzy look on any channel … She sewed a lot …

I liked the Movie of the Week (was that Tuesdays?) … I liked Walt Disney (the man) talking and introducing the show every Sunday night … and I remember the first time it was in color.  We felt technology had reached its heights at that point.

I remember in Sunday School, the teacher asked me my favorite Bible verse … why were they always publicly humiliating us with that question? … I told the old dried-up old-hen nothing of a teacher … that I didn’t  have a favorite Bible verse … I loved them all … Then, I told her that ‘Flipper’ was going to be in color that night and that set the whole Sunday School buzzing … I was popular for always updating my Sunday School classmates on the next big thing in television.

Our neighbors a couple of houses down let me stand at their window and watch Woody the Woodpecker in color.  Funny, they never let me in their house … but the window view for first-viewing of color television was a treasure.

We got a color television soon after … a Zenith … Dad loved brands and Zenith was never to be spoken of in vain … always in praise … he didn’t splurge on remote control and laughingly told me I was his remote control … but to just stop turning that dial too fast … might strip the screws …

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel the World: When to Splurge. When to Scrimp, And How to Return Safely to Home Sweet Home Here in Tyler!

This much I know to be true ... March 2022

The Miracle that really happened ...