Mind Meanderings December 5th 2023

 

A couple of weeks ago, I truly celebrated a long-awaited milestone birthday.  Facebook friends sure made me feel great. 

One message was from a friend who sent birthday message at 12 midnight … one second after midnight to be exact … he said he wanted to be the first one to tell me happy birthday on my birthday … he said it’s not fair when people say ‘happy birthday’ on the day before …

But he cared enough to stay up late … just to be the first happy birthday wisher … we discussed this … told him I was surprised he and his family had stayed up so late … on a school night and all …

He replied, “Well, I set an alarm to wake me at midnight” … so, he had been asleep, set the alarm, sent a happy birthday message and went back to sleep. 

Man, that really got to me … People can be so kind to other people…

I guess the 'Twelve Days of Christmas' song is the worst torture ... it is like the Christmas version of 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall ... And, I think the worst job would be the bus driver on a bus with middle schoolers singing that song about beer bottles on a wall … I realize this should not keep me awake at night but, truly, I would feel much better about the world if there was a law against the beer bottle song and that dang 12 days of Christmas torturous song …

You hear, “Let me replenish your drink” … but I never hear about just plenishing the drink … Is that pouring into an empty glass … Again, keeps me awake, losing sleep …

Here are some phrases I like:

·      It’s time to face the music (when someone is in trouble… they got to FACE the MUSIC … never understood that phrase but I like it)

·      I can’t bear to think of it … why is an animal’s name inserted into this? 

·      ‘Nothing doing’ … best answer to any question with the answer being ‘NO’… nothing doing…

·      Excuse my French … I guess they do a lot of cussing in France …

·      Rigamarole.

·      I’m no spring chicken … Ok, Thank you Dr. Obvious.

·      Ants in your pants.

·      Strung out.

·      Innards.

·      We are ‘fresh out’.

·      Deader than a doornail (Again, Thank you, Dr. Obvious)

·      Wait till the cows come home.  So, do cows stay on Daylight Savings time … is there an announcement by the Alpha Cow?

·      Healthy as a horse.

·      Strong like bull.

·      She’s about to Domino (when an expectant mother is about 10 ½ months pregnant) She’s got a bun in the oven.

·      It never dawned on me (I really like when people say this to me after I explain to them why they are wrong about something ….)

·      He was ‘three sheets to the wind’, that drunkard Otis in Mayberry … talk about elder abuse … get that man some assistance…

 

And, so, I’ll end this little ditty with something Mother Goddard said the other day … quoting her grandmother, I think … “Well, if they are bad mouthing us today, that means they are giving someone else a rest!”

Thank you for being my friends … and don’t expect me to set an alarm for 12 midnight to wish you a happy birthday … Let’s don’t and say I did …

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel the World: When to Splurge. When to Scrimp, And How to Return Safely to Home Sweet Home Here in Tyler!

This much I know to be true ... March 2022

The Miracle that really happened ...