There ain’t no fool like an old fool.

I must be missing a word in that saying.  It doesn’t accomplish anything.  I remember in Sunday school, we were taught never, ever, never call someone else a ‘fool’ … that calling someone that name was a terrible sin … I may or may not have asked, “So, calling someone a son of a ….. is OK?”  I was told that curse words were not invented in Bible days.

I grew up in a house where ‘stupid’ was a bad name.  Kind of sheltered but I lived near worldly neighbors and attended Scouts just to learn dirty jokes.

But, “fool” was never in the jokes.  Mostly, Aggie jokes which have somewhat gone by the wayside.  I’m not sure where the wayside is located, but there is a heck of a lot of stuff there.

I like when people use the word, “shortly”…. “I’ll leave here shortly…” I also like ‘directly’ when used as a frame of time … I’ll leave here directly… I’ll solve that problem here shortly and directly …

My goal in life has always been to live long enough so that when I die, folks can say, ‘he died of old age’… that’s really the only right reason to die … but I’m not exactly sure of the measurement of old age… if I’m not already there, I have at least made it to the threshold …

I’m old but I’m not all ‘pull my finger’ old… that’s too old for anyone’s good ….

I like when I can use the expression, ‘Oh, it’ll all come out in the wash’… The British say it differently but same sort of meaning … oh, and I don’t use it when it is really wash day …

Only recently … this year … that I realized that ‘The Beatles’ were not spelled like the beetle bugs … I really thought that was a weird name … beetle bugs … but they must mean more like ‘we got the beat, we got the beat, everybody jump to the beat, jump up, jump back, jump, jump, jump around, we got the beat…” 

 

So, not all Go-Go fans?  So back to the Beatles, they are Beatle-r’s?  They got the beat.  I remember dancing in front of the black and white TV when they appeared on Ed Sullivan show and singing “Yeah, Yeah, Yeah” on the swing set … That began my thinking they were named for bugs, not for musical beats … Anyway, if you continue to learn new things, you/me remain young … the spirit of youth … or in my case, the spirit of correcting ignorance …

Paul McCartney is 80.  He performs a 3-hour concert, singing, playing various instruments, no notes or teleprompter, and is barely winded at the end of the show.  I hope someone recorded that concert for a documentary on Netflix so I can see it … I might dance in front of the TV again.

So, the word ‘immediately’… in one day’s time, I heard it pronounced ‘E-mediately’, ‘UH-mediately’, and ‘IN-mediately’ (my favorite, just to irritate my loved ones in speech therapy careers … others are ‘ex-pecially’ and ‘supposably’….)… even one person pronounced it ‘AM-mediately’ … I answered to myself ‘IM-mediately’ but not aloud.  But, yep, immediately upon hearing the variations of the word ‘immediately’ pronunciation…

I like words like ‘boon docks’, ‘derelict’, ‘scoot’, ‘run ragged’, ‘hush’ and ‘hush now’, and ‘hush that crying right now or I’ll give you something to cry about…’

When people say they have no limitations or they can do anything in life that they want and ‘if you dream it, it will come true’ … I guess I roll my eyes a bit … sometimes, the best dreams in life are the simple, more realistic dreams, the simple dreams of pleasant moments and memories…

I like old houses where the driveway is two lanes of cement with grassing growing in the middle.  Odd how a driveway can make me happy.

Now, back to me … if someone tells me that I’m valuable and someone else tells me that I’m invaluable … should I be mad at one of them? 

It’s like a friend says to me every time we meet, “There’s the infamous Larry Goddard….”… Hey, pal, why does it have to be like that?  Just famous LG would suffice … Bonnie and Clyde were infamous…

I like to say, ‘A mess of fish’… a ‘murder of crows’ (I have five who are staying on my patio so I hung three of Mom’s dresses outside and haven’t seen the crows since … kind of scared-the-crows…) with haberdashery.

I like the words ‘no count’ as in “He’s no count”.  I like the phrase, “He/She needed killing.” I like ‘mope’ and ‘moping’ which is not ‘mopping’ but close … I mope whenever I mop.

The other day, a young girl of about 19 or so was talking to me and she said ‘Okie Dokie’… I think the words were out of her mouth before her millennia brain could stop it … she knew I was about to go all sarcastic on her …

‘Okie Dokie?... is that what you just said?  Like we said at the shindig doing the Charleston and Lindy Hop and drinking Side Cars and saying 23 Skee Do?’ … she understood nothing but laughed and walked again about to Google search everything I had just said to her … Okie Dokie??? No, nope, nada, nonononononono, Oh no shedidn’t… no …

Well, I’m give out… I have a huge stack of my wacky mind meanderings … they run wild in my head, then I write them… in cursive…. Then actually type them on a Qwerty Keyboard … and only can release my inner thoughts when I post on Facebook.  Hope that is Okie Dokie …

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel the World: When to Splurge. When to Scrimp, And How to Return Safely to Home Sweet Home Here in Tyler!

This much I know to be true ... March 2022

Words, Words, Words ... May/June 2023